Wednesday, January 16, 2013

Christmas 2012

I can't move on with this blog until I post about Christmas...
(The OCD inside of me.) :)

We had a simple fun Christmas.  We were pretty laid back this year and didn't do a whole lot leading up to Christmas.  We enjoyed a few more activities at home with each other.  I have to admit I think that this was my first Christmas away that I've gotten homesick.  I tried to keep it inside and not spoil the fun for my kids, but I really missed not being around my family.  I missed the late night conversations about nothing, movie nights after kids are in bed, snow, cold, and my Mom's cooking on Christmas.
In reality I don't know if I will ever make it "home" for Christmas again.  It is WAY too difficult trying to navigate and divide your time between two families and your own kids at Christmas.  Not to mention the packing for an army when it comes to a vacation in the Winter involving snow, cold, and presents.  That said, I hold tradition and good memories of home close to my heart at Christmas and will probably always get a little homesick for the Christmases I remember as a child. :)

We had the Sister missionaries over for dinner on Christmas Eve, as well as another young family who doesn't have family close.  I love having a busy/bustling house on Christmas Eve.  It may be the one time of year I don't mind all the chaos.  The more the merrier!  I love the excitement in the air.  It was so fun filling our home with even more kids.  One of the Sister missionaries was from Germany and we loved hearing all about her family's German traditions.  The other Elders/Sisters in the area (about 8 of them) showed up on our doorstep after dinner singing Christmas songs.  They took JC for a bit and went caroling in our neighborhood.  (Pretty sure my husband would happily be a missionary for life.)

After dinner and our friends and missionaries left we let our boys open their traditional pj's.  We also give them a book that we all read together on Christmas Eve.

After our kids are in bed, we get to work on making things look perfect for Christmas morning.  I love the idea of wrapping paper flying through the air and a big mess of it everywhere on Christmas... It is magical to me.  =)  So, I spend a couple of days leading up to Christmas wrapping every gift.  It is a must.  My Mom always did this and I remember the huge trash bags of wrapping paper after all was said and done lining our hallway when I was little.  I love that my kids get to run out and see all the presents and be surprised that Santa came and then to see the looks of surprise again on their faces after each present is opened.  It is priceless to me.  So worth all the work and effort on my part. 

After we open presents we get to enjoy my family's tradition of breakfast....  Blueberry muffins, sausage, scrambled eggs, and egg nog.  It doesn't sound like much, but Christmas is not Christmas until I get my egg nog.  I must preface this by saying the egg nog you buy in the store is disgusting and sick.  My Mom's recipe for homemade egg nog is so good.  Maybe, it is because I've had it every year for as long as I can remember... either way, Christmas Breakfast tops all traditions from my childhood. =)
We all ended up not feeling very well Christmas Eve and Christmas Day... Zenock and Kamden had ear infections, JC, Nolan, and I had colds... Needless, to say we were all miserable and spent Christmas Day in our pj's; watching movies, sleeping, and eating.  Overall it was an enjoyable Christmas. =)

---

A few of our pre-Christmas activities...  Our first time (and maybe last) building a Gingerbread house.  It crashed, (literally) and my kids ended up eating the candy.


Photobucket

Our Elf on the Shelf left lots of presents for fun evenings on our doorstep through out December.  One night he left new pj's, popcorn bowls, popcorn, and a new movie.  My boys loved when the doorbell rang at bed time.  They knew it was going to be a special treat from their Elf.  
*(I think we will keep this tradition.)


Photobucket

Photobucket


We made and decorated sugar cookies one afternoon.  This is the first time I have done it with Kamden and he was super excited.  (As was Zenock!)


Photobucket

Photobucket

Christmas Eve/Christmas Day pictures...
Kamden slammed his forehead into our tile floor Christmas Eve and ended up with a huge bruise/goose egg on his head for all our holiday pictures. :)

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

For Kamden it was a Cars/Lightning McQueen Christmas.  That is all he asked for.  He is kind of obsessed with all things Cars at the moment.

Photobucket

Zenock was super excited about his new Cowboy boots.  His Uncle Daniel & Aunt Jodi even sent him a cowboy belt/buckle.  He is the real deal now.  He wears them to church and walks down the hall with a Swagger and just a little bit more confidence.  :)  He wore them to school for the first week until he got tired of changing them for P.E., but he would come home every day telling us how cool he was and how all the kids wanted cowboy boots like his.

Photobucket

My sweet baby finally woke up to enjoy Christmas morning.

Photobucket

My boys were very excited about the new red wagon Grandpa and Grandma Reeder gave them.  We will be so excited when it is warm outside and we can use it everyday on our walks. 

Photobucket

I found this adorable camping set at Costco one day and knew my boys would love it.  We put up our tent and my boys camped out for a week after Christmas. They loved roasting their marshmallows and hot dogs over the flames. :)

Photobucket

Photobucket

....

January has already been a busy one!  We are giddy with excitement and looking forward to Grandma Reeder (my Mom) who is coming in less than THREE weeks!!!  Yahoo!

2 comments:

Emily Louise said...

I love all the 'little' things about this! You are seriously a great Mom!! I am so grateful for our wonderful Mother and the tradition and amazing Christmas's she gave us each year so that even when we aren't together, we can be together through tradition. Tis the best! Miss and love you and your handsome gentlemen!!(:

Shennie said...

I love the little camping stuff!
My son smacked his forehead on Christmas Eve too! (It must be the age.)