Sunday, October 14, 2012

Nolan

I love birth stories.

Here is Nolan's...

After 2 weeks of being dilated to a 5,  I went to my Drs appointment on September 25th.  My Dr was once again shocked that I was at my appointment and hadn't delivered yet.  I heard her even say out into the hall to the nurse, "What! Carin is still here?!"  (I really LOVE my Doctor.)  As she walked in, the first thing she asked me was if I wanted to be induced.  I didn't even hesitate with my YES!  She gave me the option of Friday or Monday.  Friday was Kamden's Birthday and I really didn't want my boys to share a Birthday, but something inside me told me that Friday needed to be the day.  (They can blame me when their older.)

My Dr had been telling me for weeks about when I did go into labor, I needed to get in the car and get to the hospital ASAP, because I would have a short labor.  This scared the crap out of me trying to think of a plan to get my kids where they needed to be, who would pick up Zenock if he was in school, what if I went into labor while sitting in the car pool lane to pick Zenock up (it's a 30 minute wait!), what if JC got stuck in traffic, etc.  Thoughts and plans had been running through my mind for weeks, but really there wasn't a plan.  
I was a nervous wreck. =)

My Dr doesn't normally do inductions on Friday, but she was willing to make an exception, because she knew I would be a fast delivery.  I am so GRATEFUL that she did.  I can't imagine what would have happened if I went into labor on my own.

Wednesday morning I was still beyond nervous about everything and I called JC crying not sure what to do.  He was was able to work from home Wednesday and Thursday, which helped with my stress a ton. 

Friday morning we dropped our kids off bright and early with friends who we are forever thankful for!
They were so good to take Zenock to school and even gave Kamden balloons and cupcakes for his Birthday.  I was a little nervous about how Kamden would respond to us waking him up during the night and dropping him off, but on our way he was so excited to "Cuddle with Heidi" and by the end of the day JC said, he wanted to go back with, "Momma Heidi."
Pretty sure everyone needs friends like ours.  We love them! =)

We made it to the hospital by 5:30 am.  We filled out paperwork, the room was set up, we filled out more paperwork, they put in my IV, etc.  My Dr came in and broke my water at 7:22am.  Afterwards, she walked out and said see you in a couple hours  (her idea of what my short labor would be).  The nurse started the Pitocin and within minutes I was feeling contractions...  within ten minutes my contractions were really strong.  At 7:45 the nurse had me sit up so I could get ready for the Anesthesiologist who was in the room next door.  As soon as I sat up, I told her they needed to hurry, because within the next fifteen minutes I was going to need to push.  She looked at me and said, "Please, please don't make me deliver this baby."  She immediately called my Dr.

At this point I was already out of it and not paying any attention to what she was saying or what was going on in the room.  I was trying to focus on the fact that my contractions were unbearable.  In the back of my mind I kept thinking about Kamden's delivery and how the anesthesiologist ran into the room the last minute and gave me a shot to take the edge off and to help me push.  I figured the same thing was going to happen again....  I could handle that.

The nurse asked me to lay down to check me and I told her I couldn't move... JC had to help me lay down and when she did check me, sure enough, I was at a TEN.  I don't remember much at this point, most of the story comes from JC... who says that when she called my Dr, she didn't answer.  The Nurse then kind of freaked out and called some other nurses in to help her.  (A lot of nurses).  Luckily, my Dr was checking on someone else and heard my cry of pain and came running in.  

I remember asking for some sort of pain medication and my Dr telling me it was too late and I needed to just push the pain away.

About one minute and two pushes later and my sweet little Nolan was here.  
All 7 pounds and 11 ounces... (my biggest baby).

Born at 8:02 am... Forty minute labor anyone??   I don't recommend it.  It requires some very intense, excruciating contractions one right after another for about 30 minutes. I never would have made it to the hospital if my water would have broke at home.

As for my opinion on Natural Childbirth...  It sucks.  Just get the freakin' epidural! =)  I used to have respect for those who "wanted" to experience it or said they liked it.  Now I think they are just plum crazy.  It is not beautiful nor does it feel amazing. I am pretty sure no one on Earth would want to read my description of what it feels like.  There are no nice or pretty words to describe it.  Let's just say that the experience left my body in shock, shaking, and pain coursing through every inch of me for the next hour and a half.  I could only hold Nolan for a couple of minutes because of the uncontrollable shaking.  It was miserable.  I hated that I couldn't hold him.

While I was laying there shaking a few minutes after Nolan was here, the anesthesiologist walks in and with a big grin smiles over JC's shoulder and says to me, "Congrats Mom, You did it with out me."  If I could have, I would have slapped the smile off of his face.

Next time around (if there is a next time - it will take a lot of convincing!), I will request to be induced at 38 weeks and WILL have an epidural BEFORE they break my water.   
It will be in contract form before I even decide to have another child. =)

The truth is it was worth every ounce of pain to get my sweet Nolan here.
(I can say that now.)

Photobucket

Because of my short labor, shaking, and JC holding Nolan... there weren't too many pictures taken.  Nolan was wide awake and very alert for quite awhile after he was born.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

A little side note... The morning felt a little bit like deja vu.   
Kamden and Nolan are exactly two years and sixteen minutes apart. 


Photobucket

Zenock and Kamden love their new little brother, "Baby Nolan."  They love when he is "wide awake" and call him "adorable" and "cute" all the time.  They keep asking when he can play with them... and hardly ever leave his side.

We are all in love with Nolan and are just so grateful that he is here.

8 comments:

Callie said...

I love birth stories too. OH MY GOSH YOU POOR THING! I can't imagine doing labor without an epidural--I love them. I'd give them out for presents if I could because they make everything all better again :) Baby Nolan is indeed adorable and cute. He fits right in with your cute family.

Congratulations and I hope Baby Nolan learns to be a great sleeper at night real quick.

Kristin said...

Congrats! I love baby boys:) I would be ticked if I had a baby naturally!! haha! It never sounded fun or like a good idea...I'm glad you told the truth instead of the omwen who like to brag about doing it all "natural"!! haha:) He is precious! Keep it up and you'll have a whole basketball team at your house!! xoxo kristin

Shennie said...

40 minutes. That's absolutely crazy!
Just for the record- having it natural without pitocin is COMPLETELY different than with pitocin. With pit it's the most horrible terrible intense (okay you can fill in the rest) pain ever. But if you went into labor on your own (heaven forbid considering how fast...) AND you had mentally/emotionally prepared for it - it would be a completely different experience.
By the way how fast were your other deliveries?

Ruby said...

All your boys are so handsome :) I was someone that wanted to do it natural..lol...then I had a 22 hour labor and decided that I was "plum crazy" and got an epidural 13 hours in :) You better believe I will get that sweet heaven juice again :)

Jane said...

I loved reading your birth story. Elizabeth was a natural birth (by choice). Needless to say, Kaleb Jr. was induced with an epidural. Night and day difference, Kaleb Jr's being the better one BY FAR. So sorry the anesthesiologist didn't make it on time.

russ and annie said...

i love reading birth stories too, so thanks for sharing! wow - you are a freakin' rockstar!! i can't imagine doing it without an epidural. can't.even.think.about.it. way to go! nolan is such a sweet little (but big for you??) guy and looks like hit fits in perfectly with your family!

Carin said...

Shennie, Zenock was six hours and Kamden was two hours... The reason my dr was sure this would be a fast delivery! :)

Heather said...

Love birth stories!! Yours was very entertaining. :)