Saturday, July 14, 2012

A story to be told...

 I cannot believe it has been NINE years since JC and I started dating.  We started dating the Summer of 2003.  It was the best Summer EVER.  I may have mentioned that before. :) Every night there was something going on, something random, spontaneous, and fun.  I couldn't wait to get off work each day to go and spend the evening with JC.  He literally swept me off my feet that Summer.  I was hooked and still can't get enough of him today.

One of my favorite memories (there are lots of them), was JC's Birthday.  I really think we had only been dating for about a month and me being the girl who lets the boy make all the moves type was just starting to get the idea that he liked me, like really (maybe) liked me.  I knew I liked him, but there was no way I was going to push things and push him away or scare him off.  That just wasn't me.

Anyhow, I figured it would be appropriate for me to get him a Birthday present... Usually, I am totally on top of gifts and know exactly what to get, but for this situation I was completely clueless.  I remember wandering the mall/stores and totally stressing out over it.  I worked for the same company as my Mom that Summer (different division) and when I went to visit her on my lunch break, she suggested to ask her co-worker (who was JC's age and pretty darn good looking) what to get him.  He suggested things for his car/truck... 
(Ok, so yes, I was happily dating JC, but I kind of fell for every word this other guy said and took his advice straight to heart.  I wasn't taken just yet!)

SO, I gave JC the most random of Birthday presents... things for his car and a few other things...

We sat in his living room while he opened it and I remember being so embarrassed about this stupid gift, I just knew it was awful from the start...
Some sort of baseball book, a keyring, a CD holder for the car, some other random things, and... a plastic yellow funnel.  

Yeah, a funnel.  The look on his face was priceless when he pulled it out and all I could do was hide my beyond red face.  Seriously, I felt so dumb, what was I thinking giving him a funnel for his Birthday.  I really liked this guy!
HANDS DOWN, for worst present ever.

He just looked at me and asked, "A funnel?"  twice.
I couldn't answer.

He made me feel a little better when he started laughing uncontrollably and gave me a hug.  OH Man...  If they could've just buried me in a hole right then. :)

One way to impress the guy you like.

...

We laugh about that stupid funnel all the time and the story is always repeated on his Birthday.  I have no idea what happened or where the other presents are, but I know exactly where the darn funnel is. 

In my garage on the shelf.  It has been used just a few times. :)

So glad that I married a guy with a sense of humor.

...

A few years ago, I was watching random TV and happened to watch a few minutes of That 70's Show...
I couldn't stop laughing for weeks.  Maybe, I'll be the only one in the world who finds it funny. :)





It was also on JC's Birthday that he and I realized we shared the same all time favorite movie... Can't Buy Me Love.  So many classic lines and who doesn't love Ronnie Miller. 

...

JC,

Thanks for not getting rid of me after I gave you a funnel. :)
It is crazy how fast the time has gone by... I can't believe that we have (almost) THREE little boys!  Life is very full... and I am so happy to be a part of it.
  
I am grateful that I am yours and that I get to be with you for forever.
You still make me smile.

HAPPY BIRTHDAY

Love you always.
love, me.

2 comments:

Lee Family said...

What a sweet and fun post to read. I love that you gave him a funnel...guys are so hard to shop for. I felt the same way looking for presents to give Skyler. :) We need to get together soon.

Heather said...

I'm glad he kept you after giving him a funnel for his birthday. lol ;) That was a cute story.