Tuesday, September 20, 2011

the county fair.

I love the county fair.

Especially my county fair back home.

The Box Elder County Fair.

I have so many memories of that place growing up.  The fair grounds, the rodeo, the grandstand, the music.  It all has a smell and a memory.  I pretty much lived at the fair during the week it was going on.  When I was little I did 4-H and entered all sorts of fun stuff to earn money for school shopping.  Things got really exciting when I started to enter a sheep each year and then sold it during the livestock auction.  I can still hear and smell that auction barn... It was a lively place to be on Saturday of the fair.  I loved everything involved... It was everything country.  The way I grew up.  I loved that I got to spend an entire week hanging out with my Dad and my brothers.  I loved riding in his truck and stopping at 7-eleven on our way to the fair for Big Gulp Dr Peppers.  I loved the ride out the fair... taking the back country roads, past the wheat fields, with the windows down, the country music, and singing to the radio.  You could smell the hot Summer coming to an end.

I loved it all.  Needless to say, my moments of depression and being in a bad mood hit rock bottom during the week of the fair every year since I've moved from Utah.  I hate knowing what is going on and I am not there to be a part of it.  I hate not taking Zenock and Kamden and introducing them to the smells and the excitement of the fair.

Every year we "plan" on going home for the fair, but something always comes up... We end up moving, having a baby, or can't justify going to Utah twice in one Summer.  So we say, "There's always next year..."

I'll be honest... This year was a rough one as far as bad moods go.  My father in law told JC to tell me I didn't miss much... but, if he only knew. =)  I missed SO much.
I was beyond excited last week when JC told me he was taking me to a county fair in Tennessee.
It was pretty much like Christmas morning...



We played all morning.  We couldn't wait for JC to get off work so we could leave.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

I love this little boy... (Can you believe he is going to be ONE next week!)

Photobucket

We spotted the tractors first. (Even Red ones. My Dad and brothers love Case tractors.)  I think this was Zenock's favorite part...

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

JC was pretty excited to get a scone... although, they had no idea what a scone was when we asked for one.  Apparently, they are "elephant ears"

Photobucket

The fair even had 4-H booths... I was like a kid in a candy store when we walked in. I explained to Zenock all about the ribbons and how people worked really hard all year on their projects to enter them into the fair to be judged.

I had to laugh when I saw the above exhibit... It took me a minute to figure out what it was.  (Something you don't see entered in the fair in Utah.)  WINE.  I laughed out loud when I thought of the judging going on (and laughed even more when I noticed the bottles were all at least half empty) and then thought of the Roger and Hammerstein movie "State Fair" one of my ALL time favorite movies.  If you've seen the movie, then you will totally get this. =)

Photobucket

No rodeo, but they did have some cool horse racing.  We didn't stay too long... not a great environment. Pretty sure there was some major gambling going on and I think we were on the wrong side of the grand stand....

Photobucket

We ate some fair food and then let Zenock choose a few rides to go on... he was super excited about that.

Photobucket

Photobucket


It was a smaller fair and there were a few things we missed that it didn't have, but all in all it was a fun evening and really helped out with my bad mood. =) I had a great time spending the evening with my boys at the county fair! Now I can officially say goodbye to Summer and feel ready for Fall.

2 comments:

Tatiana said...

Yeah for the fair! I'm sad you had to miss it, but glad JC made a way for it to happen for you. Miss you guys!

Shennie said...

I want to see a picture of you as a kid with your sheep! (Seriously)

Glad you had fun at the fair.