Sunday, November 22, 2009

Projects!

JC was gone last week for a conference back in D.C. I hate when he is gone... I have to keep myself busy with projects so that I don't worry or go crazy with my thoughts.

I had lots planned!

Zenock and I did LOTS of Christmas shopping. :) We are almost done.
(I am so, so, so excited for Christmas with my little family!)

I also was able to check some projects off my list...

We bought Zenock a bedroom set back in Texarkana... We didn't expect him to climb out of his crib at 16 months and to be in a "big boy" bed at 17 months. We didn't really want to put him in the bed that we bought him because it is really nice and sits high up. So we ended up buying this toddler bed at Ikea. I have been so sick of looking at it's "bareness" for the last year and couldn't wait to paint it.

I painted it back in October and absolutely loved how it turned out!



I have this awesome creative friend that told me how to paint it and then antique/stain it.

It was perfect for his "Baseball" room.



When JC saw this quilt in the PB kids magazine he told me WE had to get it. "Zenock had to have it... every little boy needed a baseball room like the one in the magazine." I wanted to wait until we moved to get it and a month before we moved I was checking online to see if "by chance" it was on sale... Sadly... It was completely SOLD OUT!
I then called the three pottery barn stores in the D.C. area and begged them to see if by chance they had one. Luckily, one of the stores did! It was the floor display and they had just taken it down and put it in the back. They gave it to me for a great price! :)
I love good deals.


I never liked the way Zenock's baby room turned out, but love his room now. It fits his personality perfect.


One of my projects last week was to do a beadboard wall and then do a shelf the length of the wall to put all of his baseball stuff on. I decided to hold off for awhile on doing that and ended up just putting up "a" shelf. But, I still love how it turned out.



I also decided to copy my Mom and ordered this cute window from ebay...

It was way cheap and was supposed to be "antique white," but when it got here it was... PINK!


It was a fun project...



It helped with the bareness of the walls in my kitchen. I am amazed at how much "decorating/money/stuff/time" it takes to decorate a house! One of these days, I might be able to fill the walls. :)

I also have 3 big planter ledges in my house that got decorated while JC was gone... (pictures to come.)

I had so much fun painting Zenock's bed... I am now on the look out for more furniture I can paint. I have noticed myself staring out the window every time I pass the little thrift shops. I am not a garage sale/thrifty person. I wish I could be! :) I just have this eery creepy feeling of owning something that once belonged to someone else. We are talking about serious issues. I honestly think that that "item" might be haunted and I just don't want it in my house. I'm weird... I know. But, just maybe one day... if I find that perfect piece of furniture it might help me over my fears.

I've got lots of more fun projects planned for down the road... stay tuned. :)

9 comments:

Michael . Heidi . Mason . McKay said...

I am ready to have a demo from you miss carin! :)

Brooke Low said...

You did such a good job with your home. I love Zenocks room. I have learned that whenever I find something I love I just buy it. I can't tell you how many times I have done the same thing you did, calling all over the country trying to track down that one item I absolutely loved

Heather said...

Carin, you are so creative! I love it. I love new 'projects'. I wish I could fit more in - barely keeping up on the house, being a mom, and my church calling keep me super busy. Did I tell you that I'm in the Relief Society Pres. in my ward. How weird is that? I thought it was. Anyways - I love what you have done with the place. I wish you could decorate my house!

Linda @ Craftaholics Anonymous said...

Zenock's room turned out awesome! Love that bed! and your dining room looks fab too!

Jamie said...

You are so talented. What a cute way to decorate your home!

Logan and Ryan said...

Okay this is scary. I think when I showed pics of my bedroom you told me that we have the same bed. Now I saw your dinning room table and I have the same one! I knew I liked you for a reason. Cute projects!

Bourgeous said...

Such cute projects! You are amazing. I love your duck friends.

Destri said...

Oh the talent...when are you going to be a guest blogger for TMH? Open invitation!!!

Erin said...

The bed looks fabulous!!! You really did such a good job!

Love the frame and the berry wreath too!!