Friday, June 19, 2009

It went by way too fast...

I had a ton of fun having my Mom and Emily come and visit. I never wanted the ELEVEN days to end. They helped out immensely the last week that JC was in Kansas... (I have a VERY active two year old... when they arrived, I was ready to throw in the towel. :) Literally, on the way to the airport to pick them up, while sitting in a huge traffic jam (I hate DC traffic!!!), my "sweet" little Zenock decided to figure out how to UN-BUCKLE and climb out of his car seat! I totally freaked out and with one hand driving stop and go, tried to get him strapped in with the other hand.

I swear Zenock is the sweetest, most lovable little boy in the world. He will give you all the hugs and kisses in the world and absolutely loves to be cuddled. BUT, don't let it fool you. He knows how to get into trouble faster than a 100 mph fastball.
Seriously, no joke.
I have to stay constantly aware of where he is and what he is doing. He has figured out how to climb on top of everything, push buttons, open doors, open child-locked cupboards, etc. I should just forget about the toys next Christmas... he doesn't play with them.

ANYHOW... we'll save that all for another post.

We had so many fun things planned every day. We did TONS of shopping and hit all the major outlet shops, stores, boutiques, and malls. We quite literally shopped until we dropped.
We spent two days touring DC (yes, it can be done...) Since, I have done most of it, I could tell them what was worthwhile to see, what it was, etc. It was kind of fun to be a personal tour guide. I feel like such a pro at driving around DC now... I actually know where I am going!

We saw: The Monuments, Ford's Theatre, Capitol, White House, Library of Congress, Supreme Court, Natural History Museum, American History Museum, Air and Space Museum, Arlington Cemetery, Union Station, China Town, and The Holocaust Museum... all in TWO DAYS!
About the Holocaust Museum... SURE GLAD we went on Tuesday. We were there exactly 24 hours before the shooting took place on Wednesday. We totally remember seeing the Security Guard that was killed. Very nice guy. It seems so surreal when things like this happen. We were out in Tyson's Corner on Wednesday when JC called to tell me... I thought he was joking and couldn't believe it. We very seriously would have been there if we had gone on Wednesday.
Scary to think about.

Mom and Emily at the Lincoln Memorial

Us at the WWII Memorial... (It was SO hot, humid, and bright!)

Zenock's cheese face... JC had my camera in Kansas, so Emily was the official photographer of their vacation. I have quite a few of these kind of pictures now. Love em.

It was seriously so HOT and HUMID! It hasn't been that hot the entire time we've lived here. Zenock had a great time splashing in the fountain.
(Don't you love my hot fashion trend of rolled up jeans... All fashion sense goes out the window when it's that hot!)

On our way to the car... we were all wiped out.

We were able to meet and greet some of the famous local celebrities from past and present.

OF course they were all made of wax... We had a GREAT time at Madame Tussaud's Wax Museum.

I made some bad mistakes and ended up being interrogated by J. Edgar Hoover...
(The FBI guy.)

Emily got lucky and was able to meet the President and First Lady... WE were thrilled... (sarcasm intended)

Zenock was off doing some Presidential duties...


Mom was over in the corner with George...
(Don't worry DAD... remember... even though she thinks George is hot... he's made of wax!)

We finally found Emily doing what "almost" SIXTEEN year old's do best...
(She spent most of her vacation texting and talking to 8 different BOYS!)

We met up with Will...

and Tom...

Emily found her first "dream" date

And, Zennie and I played a little baseball with Babe Ruth....
(Zenock was obsessed with trying to get his bat.)


We visited the Washington D.C. Temple the next day...

And enjoyed Mount Vernon and Alexandria the next. Zenock had quite the conversation with Dr. Craig Jessop at Mount Vernon.

We threw a little Birthday party for Emily and my Mom on Sunday... Zenock loved the cupcakes!

They left Monday to go home and we were so sad they had to leave. It went by way too fast! Zenock still asks where "Aunt Emi and Grandma went?"
We had a GREAT time and wish it could have lasted longer! We are now enjoying a week of peace and quiet until we have more guests and start running full force again. We are excited for our adventures with JC's parents and sister Kristen! Can't wait to see you guys!


7 comments:

Ryan Reeder said...

Thanks for keeping these blog updates going. I'm sure it's not the easiest thing to do with a two-year-old, but I sure enjoy them.

I particularly enjoyed noting some of the expressions which were completely in character with what I've seen many times before (such as your J. Edgar Hoover pose).

Thanks again.

Heather said...

Looks like you had an awesome time! Those wax figurines look very real. . .in a freaky kind of way.

Bourgeous said...

How fun to have to show off the town! You have such a great mom & sis - honestly cannot believe that Emily is 16! WOW, where has the time gone.

The Traylor's said...

Looks like fun. That cupcake pictures is almost too much to handle...SO cute!

I know exactly how you feel about having the sweetest little boy turned "I want to pully my hair out" Keeps me busy and honestly I don't think I'd like it any other way :)

Tatiana said...

Looks like you guys had fun! Thanks for the outfit! Your mom dropped it off the other day and it was so good to see her. I have an announcement for you, for Evva, I just need to find my address book, I may just call you. Good luck w/ Zenock's busy body! He's such a cutie pie! Scary about the shooting, glad you weren't there. Also, JC is looking good in the pictures from Nauvoo, Tell him good job!

The Adamsons said...

That looks like so much fun! I want to come visit! Actually we are living in D.C. next summer will y'all still be there?!?! BUT more importantly, we are neighbors with Ft. Lauderdale when are you coming in August?? We are leaving the 20th!

Annie said...

What a fun time! Zennock looks like such a handful - but so funny! I can't imagine living in the humidity - I think my hair would be a total fuzzball!