Saturday, May 9, 2009

Shhh... Don't Tell.

Growing up with 3 older brother and a Dad there was one thing I learned how to do at a very young age... That was learn how to bake Chocolate Chip Cookies.
That's right... I was the designated cookie baker at the Reeder house. I got pretty good at it and even had my own secrets and recipe... (Don't think too much of me... This was pretty much the only thing I was able to cook/bake until I got married:).

Cookies never lasted long (they still don't) at the Reeder house.
Our motto: "You better grab ten and stuff them down, because in five minutes there won't be any left!"
(We usually double any batch of cookies we make.) I had to teach JC this when we first got married, he caught on quick, but there are times when he still forgets. I think my sisters and I astonished him the way we could finish off 2-3 dozen cookies in less than an hour. (Great meal replacement program. :) He is still surprised when he comes home from work asking where the cookies I baked the night before are...
"Gone" I reply.
His response: "You ate them ALL??"
Me: "Sure did."


I even remember my very first cookie/baking experience. I was about 5 or 6 and my brother Daniel and I were left home by ourselves. He thought we should surprise the others and make cookies while they were gone. I knew I wasn't allowed to use the oven and even remember asking Daniel if he was for sure allowed to use it....

(I love having older brothers, they taught me a variety of things, including how to unwrap and wrap back up every present under the Christmas tree without getting caught. We peeked/snooped out our Christmas presents every year until Daniel went on his mission.)

I don't remember if Daniel said he was allowed to use the oven or not, but away we went mixing the ingredients, sneaking bites of dough, and dumping the ingredients onto a cookie sheet.

When they were finished they looked like crusted over brownies.... My Mom said we left out one of the ingredients.... FLOUR. BUT, They tasted SOO good. We tried to offer them to the others when they got home, but for some reason they didn't want to try them. Oh well... Their loss, right?!
(Anything with 2 cups of sugar is going to taste good to a six year old.)


This brings me to the subject of my post... I have just been given the BEST, most delicious, soft-baked, moist, plump looking, BEST Chocolate Chip Cookie Recipe. It is a secret family recipe from a friend's friend's family and I might be in lots of trouble for sharing, but how could I not.... So Enjoy!

Chocolate Chip Cookies... The Best Ever :)
2 cubes butter or margarine softened (DO NOT let them melt, just soften.)
2 eggs
1 Cup brown sugar
1 Cup sugar
1 tsp. Salt
1 tsp. soda
3 tsp. Vanilla (Trust me on this... This just might be the secret!)
3 Cups flour
1 Bag Chocolate Chips


Bake at 350 degrees for 10 minutes only! DO NOT over cook. Take them out even if they don't look done. Leave them on the pan while you are cooking another pan. Don't put them on the cookie sheets until the 2nd batch has cooked. This makes them rise up and finish cooking.

Seriously, so easy and so good! I've already eaten one whole batch this week and I think I will make myself a Mother's Day present and make another one tonight.

I'm SURE any Mother would love this as their present.... Just an idea.


HAPPY MOTHER'S DAY!

7 comments:

Horner Family said...

Thanks Carin, I'm excited to try them!

The Traylor's said...

that's how I make mine too! I love chocolate chip cookies. reading that was reminding me of my childhood. that was always a special treat for me to be able to help my mom make the cookies!

...would you believe that my little man doesn't like them? the kid is nuts!

Chase and Ashley Winegar said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Chase and Ashley Winegar said...

I'm the same way, but with sugar cookies! I won't make them anymore because I know that when I do, I'll end up eating the whole batch. No bueno.

Jill said...

Great post! I can just picture you and Daniel in the kitchen baking away! Thanks for the recipe, I can't wait to try them. I have a really amazing secret snickerdoodle recipe that I may need to send your way!
XO
Jill Hubbs

Brian and Callie said...

Carin these sound delicious and I am so wanting a dozen for myself right at this moment! I am glad that you and JC are doing well. I love to hear all the adventures that you guys go on. Zenock is a cutie, a bit mischievous but I wonder where he got that from?!?!

Shawn and Krystal said...

I'm so glad to hear that I'm not the only one who can devour a batch of cookies in a day or so...by myself! Sometimes I get a little embarrassed and after eating so many, I think about making more so it doesn't look like I've eaten them all when Shawn gets home ha ha. I'm always looking for another good cookie recipe, so I will for sure have to try this one!