Friday, May 1, 2009

Mischievous Messes

Two year olds equal lots and lots of messes... at least that's what seems to be the reoccurring daily activity at our house. I spend a majority of my day... cleaning. Should I give up? I'm about ready to.
These messes are often created in the early morning, when I feel it is absolutely necessary that I shower before one in the afternoon... (When my little mess maker is asleep.)
{Yes, I just admitted that if you come to my house before 2... most likely we will be having a pj party.}

I once thought I could protect my most precious things... Completely childproofed safely away... There are locks on my doors, cabinets, and pretty much anything that can be opened. BUT, as I have learned I have a spy living in my house watching every move I make. He is studying out and planning for the right moments to make his move, make his mess, and execute with perfection his plan of attack.


His name you ask....

Z.e.n.o.c.k

Who else???

I clean my tv and windows daily... just another one of those lovely messes that I'm sure I will miss in 40 years and wish I was still cleaning up after.

This little mischievous mess maker has also learned about the invention of a stool... No, we don't leave stools lying around, but he uses anything he can find to get to a better height or view of things.

Some of the other messes I have cleaned up in the last week or so are:

After vacuuming my house one day, I walked five steps to unplug the vacuum. As I turned around (2 seconds later) to wind up the cord. I found, little to my surprise, Zenock sitting there dumping the entire canister of dirt that I had just vacuumed up all over the top of his head... Lovely. After dumping it out, he grabbed one of the trix cereal pieces I had vacuumed up and shoved it in his mouth.
***

Zenock loves playing in the fridge... I am constantly pulling him out of the fridge, dishwasher, (and now the oven) telling him to leave it alone or to go away from it.
*Note to self: Go away was not the wisest choice of words to use for a 2 year old... He now repeats it constantly, telling me and to "Go Away!"

Back to the story...
I was taking one of my 5 minute early morning showers... as I walked into the living room after I finished, I found Zenock standing there eating an entire loaf of banana bread that I had made a few days before. The bread was in a ziploc bag in the fridge. He decided to help himself to some... (I guess he got hungry in the 15 minutes that it took for him to finish breakfast and me to shower.) Of course he couldn't unzip the bag, so he did what anyone who was just dying of hunger would do....

He bit a hole in the bag.

He also decided to smash and sprinkle pieces of the Banana bread over the floor.

It was loads of fun to clean up.
It hasn't been all bad... I loved that he knew how to get a drink out of the fridge when he was thirsty, but I didn't appreciate the half eaten apples and holes in the middle of the gogurt pack I would find. Not to mention the cleaning up of an entire bowl of green beans and juice all over my just mopped kitchen floor.
(SERIOUSLY, I promise, I DO feed my child... It's not like he is starving.)



This all led to my fabulous new fridge decor....


The fridge lock!
What on earth did I do with out it??? The best thing ever invented. (I bought one for the dishwasher too.)

I also loved hiding out and watching my little mess maker try and open the fridge after I had put it on... Hilarious. One of the funniest things I have ever seen.

I laughed.
Am I a mean Mom or what?


In all honesty, I have a very hard time disciplining him. Trust me, he DOES get his fair share of discipline and time-outs, but it also usually involves me turning my head or going into the next room while he is sitting in time out... so that I can compose myself from laughing at whatever creative little thing he has just said to me.

I love this little guy and I love his messes. I love that his creative little mind is watching and coming up with new ways to make a mess. I know one day I will miss them and miss cleaning up after him. He is such a fun little boy.

9 comments:

Heather said...

I feel your pain!

The Traylor's said...

Oh my. I was laughing out loud reading that. I mean, laughed so hard I almost cried!! Just this morning as I looked at my sliding door I thought to myself "Didn't I JUST clean that???" But then even as I cleaned it for the tenth time this week I thought to myself "I'll miss this one day". I think it has everything to do with being a great mom. If we just gave up on cleaning what kind of example would we be setting for them?

It's like I always say, I wish we lived closer... our boys are SOOO much alike, they'd have so much fun together. I can't wait for you guys to move to Alabama, we live so close!

Bourgeous said...

What a smart little guy. It is so amazing to watch them develop and figure things out - but it does come back to add more work for mom. I gave up mopping the floor for 2 weeks because I was for sure that it had a jink on it. Every time I had just mopped something would get majorly spilled or broken and I would get down hearted. For those weeks I didn't worry when things got spilled - because I was just so glad that I just hadn't finished mopping. The same amount got spilled and smeared so now I know it wasn't just the floor that has a jinx on it! :)

Tai and Joe said...

Hey Carin and JC. This is Tai )goldsberry) Jeppson from High school. I came across your blog from a few friends and wanted to say hi! your little boy is adorable. Looks like you guys are having a blast.
taiandjoe.blogspot.com

Amy W said...

HAHAHAHAHA! I love this story!! You should send it to zip lock and tell them they need a stronger bag. So funny!

The Hutchinsons said...

Oh boy, I may have to invest in one of those fridge locks. Conner has waited until he was almost three to start trying to help himself.
I just realized I am a spaz and never got back with you about the hill camorah pageant (spelled wrong I am sure) Sim says we can't take any more time off because of our trip to florida if we want to be able to go home for Christmas this year. I am pretty bummed I have been wanting to go forever. I think we are going to have to wait until next year. If you guys need a place to stay. Just let me know. My sister is really nice and lives only like 20 or 30 minutes from the temple. She would seriously love to have you stay. They are always having people stay with them when they come to see the sights. PS we are coming to DC agiain in the middle of may like the 18-23. It will be so fun to see you guys again so soon and we will definately have to get a rita's (everyday) :)

Erin said...

I swear you wrote this about my little boys! Things like this happen on an HOURLY basis at our house (I have double trouble with 2 boys!) Coopers new thing is he sneaks food (promise I feed him too) I will find string cheese wrappers under the coach cushions, lafffy taffy wrappers in the dryer, spoons in the garbage can (yes he threw away a few spoons after sneaking a applesauce while I was in the shower!) It really is a boy thing. They get into EVERYTHING!! We did the locks (and still do) but the older they get the smarter they get (Cooper figured out how to unlock the fridge!) So beware!!

This was a cute post :)

Jill said...

Great post! I can't believe the banana bread!! From experience I have learned that those handy fridge locks also work great on toilet seats!
XO
Jill Hubbs

Annie said...

Wow a little stink that boy is turning into - but a cute one at that!! That fridge lock looks like a wonderful, life saving invention. Did you ever see the Friends episode where Rachel installed a fridge lock and Joey couldn't figure out how to get in the fridge?? :-) I will have to stock up on all those things!