Wednesday, January 21, 2009

LARPing...

For awhile the missionaries in our ward have been talking about their neighbors who hold "LARPing" festivals once a month. The Game Master (the guy in charge of the festival) is their neighbor. We really didn't know what to think when they told us... (ok, we laughed... a lot). Anyhow, they take it pretty seriously....
The other day one of the festivals was going on and the missionaries called JC who happend to have his co-worker/friend, Ronnie over. They decided to head over to the missionaries house to check out all the excitement. (I volunteered to stay home with Zenock... It was raining... and I just can't see becoming a LARPer in my future. :)
So what is LARPing you ask.... (I had to wikipedia the answer...)
"A live action role-playing game (LARP) is a form of role-playing game where the participants physically act out their characters' actions. The players pursue their characters' goals within a fictional setting represented by the real world, while interacting with one another in character. Player actions are sometimes mediated by game rules. These rules may require players to succeed in contests such as physical combat with simulated weapons, in order for their characters to successfully complete actions. Alternatively, success may be determined randomly or by reaching consensus on an appropriate outcome."
Anyhow, here are some LARPing pictures...
............................................................................................................





Three of these guys are our missionaries.... Can you guess which one's?


They even let JC play with one of their weapons....


Ronnie's turn.....

Some of the LARPer's.... (I was told there were probably about 50 of them.)
Neither JC nor Ronnie think LARPing is in their future either.
There isn't much else to say.... Except, whatever you are thinking, I most likely agree.... :)

9 comments:

Shawn and Krystal said...

what the?...that is funny

kelly said...

Oh man, JC's text message did not prepare me for this level of entertainment! HAHAHAAH I'm dying here at work and people are looking at me funny now.

Matt and Jenni said...

Uuummmmm.... I have no words. hahaha! They really have a name for this other than, uh... weird? I think some people who live by matt's parents do this. We would randomly see the whole family outside in full armor (chain mail and all) and they would fight with swords and throw knives at their wooden-frame enemies...very intense sport. ;) From what I can tell, anyway. haha

Becky said...

That is pretty funny. At first 'I' felt dumb because I for some reason didn't know what LARPing was. Looks like they all had fun. Oh, by the way, I have no idea which ones are the missionaries.

Destri said...

There are no words! Really! I would just offend someone! soooo funny!

Cass said...

Hey girlie, I wanted to wish you a Happy Birthday, sorry so late. but it sounds like you had a great one. I love getting to keep in touch with you, even if it is through blogging. so keep up the great posts coming. talk to you soon! love ya, cass

Annie said...

LARPing?? weird. it reminds me of the "real life version" of those people that would get together and play those dragon games with cards. maybe you should join in next time and give us the insider scoop! :-)

by the way - happy birhtday!

Kami said...

Ha Ha Ha. I am glad to see some evidence in the stories I have been told.

Logan and Ryan said...

I've never heard of this. Is it really popular? I guess so if you found an explantion on Wikipedia.