Tuesday, September 23, 2008

This Week...

Zenock is such a little monkey! He has started climbing on top of everything as well as doing pull ups to anything he can...

Our table is pretty high and I am terrified he is going to fall and break something, BUT he is so proud of himself when he finally gets on top.


We love going on walks daily. Zenock and I usually go on one during the day and then we go on one later in the evening when JC gets home. This is from one of our walks earlier this week.

...THIS WEEKEND...
We headed to downtown D.C. again to soak it all in and to see some more sights. After spending over an hour in traffic (on a SATURDAY!) we finally got there.


Our first stop was the Holocaust Memorial Museum. It was incredible and not at all what I thought it would be. You could spend hours there reading everything. I have always been so awed by what happened during the Holocaust. My first introduction to the Holocaust was by my 4th grade teacher who was from Germany (Mrs. Glasgow) and I remember her telling us about the Holocaust and about her brother who was part of the nazi army. I have been amazed by stories through out my life of people who survived and those who haven't. I am amazed at what they went through. The sign as you leave the museum says, "Remember what you saw." I don't think anyone will ever be able to forget.


JC and Zenock in front of the Smithsonian Institution building.


As we were walking around we heard these big drums and music, so we ran towards the sound and this is what we found. The African Art museum had stilt walkers doing dances around the building as well as guys playing the drums. It was pretty cool.

Mom and Zenock

We thought we would let Zenock cool off for a bit....

One of my favorite things about D.C. is to just walk around and look at all of the buildings. I have always had a love for interior design and architecture and I could seriously stare at them all day... I think I ran into at least five people as we were walking down the street and I was staring at the buildings. The building above is definately my favorite. It is the Dwight D. Eisenhower office building right next to the white house. I love the Victorian Style. It is being remodeled right now and I can't wait to see it when it is finished.

Everything is so detailed... The national archive building.

I love the arches and the big lanterns that hang down in the middle.


Our last sight for the day was The White House! I was so excited to see this, it is so awesome to see this sight in person. On our way back to the car we stopped at the mall to watch a Gold Star Reception for the military and then stopped to watch a Rugby game. I can't believe what a rough sport it is... They had to call an ambulance twice while we were watching.

...SUNDAY...

We finally had a peaceful relaxing Sunday... Zenock went to nursery! He was going when we were in Texarkana, but we thought we would wait until he was 18 mths to send him here. After fighting him for a month and leaving church early a few times, we decided to give up and just take him early. They were so good to let him come. It was the first time we left him in nursery by himself and he did great! He loves playing with the kids. I can't believe how big he is. It was definately JC and I who were the ones not ready to leave him. All through Sunday school we kept looking at each other and saying we missed him.

After church we went up to the temple visitors center to see an art exhibit we heard was open. It is called Reflections of Christ and if you haven't seen it, I definately recommend viewing it. You can see it here. (Make sure to have your sound turned on.) The artist does real life photography images of Christ's life.

The Washington D.C. Temple

Pictures do not do this temple justice... it is so pretty.


I love the Temple grounds, it is engroved in trees and it is gorgeous! This is the visitors center. You can see the christus statue through the window. Senator Bennett from Utah was also speaking at the visitors center, but we were unable to listen due to a very active little boy.

Going for a walk around the Temple.


Zenock loves water

...Playing around...

I love this look. He always has to have a stick in his hand when he is outside. He is such a little boy.

Mom and Zenock at the back doors.

My family at the Washington D.C. Temple
September 22, 2008

3 comments:

Michael . Heidi . Mason said...

Loved the new pics! Miss you guys!

Anonymous said...

I absolutely loved the D.C. temple. And you are definitely right about the pictures not doing it justice, just a hint if you want to get great pictures, go when it is a little overcast, because if you think the temple looks white right now, it will look amazing then. I am so jealous that you are getting to see everything, so fun!!!
Mallory

Logan & Ryan said...

I loved Washington D.C. when we went earlier this year. It makes all that history you learned in school actually seem real. You are so lucky to be close and be able to take it all in. There was a lot of things we didn't have enough time to see. Best part is the majority of it is all FREE!