Tuesday, September 16, 2008

Sweet Virginia...

Saturday has officially become our "touring" day. We thought we would get up early last Saturday and drive TWENTY minutes... (that's right... twenty!) into D.C. to see what we could see. (It is much better than having to drive 3 hours into Dallas.) I never thought in a million years that I would live here, but I do and I love it! It is going to be so hard to leave in two years AND I have only been here for less than a month! There is so much to see and do. I don't think we even got through an eighth of it. Before we had even parked, we were passing places and I was already planning for the next month of Saturdays... such as: The pentagon, The holocaust museum, The national Archive museum, A nationals game, The capitol building, The white house... the list goes on and on.
Our first stop... Washington Monument
As we were driving into D.C. and this came into view, it seriously gave me chills. It was an awesome sight. To go from my humble "little" town of Brigham City to THIS! :)

World War II monument...

JC already knows that I am an emotional person, but I had already warned him that it could hit at any time during our "touring." As you walk around this and read all the quotes from past presidents, etc. you can feel the emotion around you and the respect for those who have served and are serving for our country quadruples.

The naval academy was taking their morning jog around the mall...

I really had to hold it in when these guys passed by singing, chanting, yelling:

"We are the U.S. Navy!"

My family in front of the Lincoln Memorial

There was an Obama Rally outside the memorial... I was amazed at how many people were there.

As we were walking back from the Lincoln Memorial, we walked passed this guy. He looked really familiar and I knew he had to be someone... I think I might have been staring at him... (He was the ONLY person dressed up in a white shirt, cuff links, and suit pants on a Saturday.) I looked over at JC and he said, "Do you know who that is?" I made the realization just as his publicist asked if we wanted a picture with "Senator Bob Dole." (Yeah... I didn't ask for the picture. I'm not one of those crazy for celebrity people.)
Yes... we got our picture with Bob Dole... not just Bob Dole, but former presidential candidate BOB DOLE! Can you believe it... That is like running into Obama or McCain in twelve or so years. CraZy! (I realize after telling a few people that this really isn't as exciting to everyone else as it was to JC and I... but seriously, how often do you go out sight seeing and run into an all most president just walking around!)
We had to run into the Smithsonian of Natural History and grab this picture for Grandpa Larson.... "The Hope Diamond." (Need I say more. :) I apologize that the quality isn't very good.
It's a good thing we live here, because we can't make the day too long.. Zenock doesn't allow for it. He did really good for about 4 hours, but then we had to leave before the "melt down" could occur.


After a long Saturday, Zenock spent Sunday just lounging around enjoying the amazing weather we are having. It is perfect... I already have an obsession with Fall, but after a year of NO season change and no Fall, I am especially excited and obsessed for Fall. I can't wait for all of the fun activites, colors, food, and LeAvEs that are associated with Fall.

The real life Calvin and Hobbes... Zenock has been carrying around this tiger all morning. They are real life partners in crime, getting into all sorts of trouble as I try to blog.

7 comments:

galadriel said...

Well, I think it's way cool that you just happened to run into Bob Dole. That's just crazy! I am jealous of all your site seeing. Can't wait to come out and do some myself.

Brittney said...

Can I just tell ou how jealous I am of you! My whole life I haven't wanted to travel. Thank you for posting pictures and your trips. At least I can live vicariously through you!!!

Russ & Annie said...

Don't you just love D.C.? We went out there in April and I couldn't believe how much there is to see and do. My favorite thing - everything we FREE!! And, if you go to a Nationals game, if you get the nose bleed seats, they are like $10 a person. Great stuff!

mbarker said...

I'm jealous. D.C. Is awesome. We went last May for a week and didn't see everything. Just a few tips though you have to schedule tours of the white house and capital through your congressman. And we went to the holocaust museum during nap time so ethan could sleep in his stroller. It was nicer that way because it is such a quiet and somber place. Enjoy your touring!!

Tori said...

We went to DC four years ago and seeing all those pictures makes me want to go again! It really is the coolest place. Arlington National Cemetary was my favorite. Is that creepy? I thought it had such a cool spirit about it. I hope you enjoy all your travels and your time there!

Baird Family said...

I am SO jealous!! I love it there and can't wait for an opportunity to go back. I got really emotional when I saw everything too. You are so lucky to live close by. I can't wait to see more posts about your weekend adventures!

Allyson said...

HOW FUN! We almost went to VA, but decided to come here. I wanted DC close by SO BADLY! Jealous!