Tuesday, March 4, 2008

Good Times in Texarkana!


We had such an exciting morning yesterday! JC has made fun of me all day for it and I thought it was pretty funny myself... So here it is!
Zenock woke up at 4:30 AM and thought it was play time. I finally got him back to sleep around 6. JC left at seven and I woke up around 8, checked on Zenock and went into my living room to watch the storm out the window. There was a BIG crack of thunder(which woke Zenock up) and it was pooring rain. About a minute after that, the tornado sirens went off! Holy Heck... Can I just say I had absolutely NO idea what to do. There was a part of me that was a little nervous, but to be honest it was pretty exciting! I grabbed my phone to see if JC had called and saw that I had a few missed calls. I called my cute friend Heidi back and she said I needed to go to a basement apartment right away, (we live on the top floor). So I grabbed my baby, my diaper bag, (which had been almost emptied out by my baby), and a big blanket and was out the door in two seconds. I ran downstairs to the old guy that lives below us... He wasn't home and either were the two other people that lived below us. So.... there I was out in the pooring rain running around my apartment (in my pajamas) with my baby. *Just a quick note to all of you back in Utah... That's not really what you are supposed to do during a Tornado warning. I called Heidi back and asked if I could just come to where she was. I went over to another Sister's house in our ward. When I got there, Sister Hanson had me go into her room in the closet where I found Heidi, her baby (Mason), Maria, her little boy (Conner), and Sister Hanson's granddaughter Kaitlyn all hiding in the closet.... (Sorry guys, but can I just say I REALLY wish I would've had a camera to take a picture of all of us! hahaha.) We were all sitting there in our pajamas eating whatever was in our diaper bags as Kaitlyn kept throwing more pillows and blankets into the closet making it even hotter. (The kids were LOVING it.... Slumber Party in the closet!) I shouldn't laugh, because we were really just trying to be safe. Sister Hanson was on the lookout in her living room watching the news and giving us updated information while we sat in the 120 degree closet. After about an hour (we didn't stay in the closet that long), the storm had pretty much passed and we decided it was safe to return home, which was believe it or not... Still Standing! That's our story... pretty funny, I know. We feel pretty blessed that no real harm was done. A tornado did touch down about ten minutes from where we live and did some damage to a little trailer park near JC's work. JC was sitting in class and someone came running in telling them they needed to get to a certain classroom. Once they were in the classroom the lights went out for awhile and he said there were people calling family and girls crying. (A lot of them are from the South, so I'm sure they have experienced this and a tornado is no laughing matter.) Anyhow, it was a good story for us and one we will probably be laughing at for at least a little while.... good times... good times.

8 comments:

Ryan Reeder said...

WOW. A 120 degree closet in the winter?

Robert & Tatiana said...

Craziness! That would be intense, but I could picture you rising to the occasion. I'm sure Zenock can be rest assured that his mom knows how to react in these situations from now on. :) At least you know what to do now, and also, be sure to keep your diaper bag stashed w good stuff that you can eat now. In fact, why don't you fashion a 72 hr kit diaper bag. Let me know how that goes. :)

Baird Family said...

Wow...that is crazy! For some reason that seems really exciting! Course I'm one of those really aweful people who get curious and want to see the damage when I pass a car accident. Something about seeing the chaos just reels me in. Terrible, I know. I'd probably feel much differently if I were the one running with my baby trying to hide from a tornado. I really am glad you are all safe!!

Brittney said...

I love your story. I have always wondered how I would act in an emergency and if all my prepareness would help. I have to admit I think it sounds kinda fun too.

Erin said...

Wow! I am glad you are safe! I really don't know what I would have done in this situation!! You are wonder women to have such quick thinking :)

Corey and Jennifer said...

Wow carn that is scary I don know how I would of handled that. But
I can see you in your pajamas running outside weve done it before haha! Take care! Vern

Erin said...

Wow, that was so incredible that I had to share your little story with Mike! When we were driving through Texas once we drove through a storm that was so bad I kept watching for a tornado (it was probably a weak storm compared to what storms are like when tornados really hit). I remember being so horrified by the experience.

Anonymous said...

This is very fine web site, thank you and look at that [url=http;//ciufcia.pl]gry dla dzieci[/url]